Where are We Now?
The I-80 project also included a Phase I Preliminary Engineering and Environmental Studies project and Phase II design plans for near-term improvements. The scope of these near-term improvements was developed based on the project’s bridge inspections and traffic and crash analyses. The near-term study focused on specific existing corridor conditions that needed correction, rehabilitation, or reconstruction before the long-term project can be funded for construction. Near-term conditions included operational and safety deficiencies, pavement deficiencies, and structure rehabilitation/reconstruction needs that are present due to effects of use, time and weather.
The recommended Build Alternative was processed as a Categorical Exclusion Group II by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and received Design Approval on December 21, 2015.
What are the Interim Improvements?
- Routine inspections of I-80 over Des Plaines River
- Repairs to I-80 over Des Plaines River let in March 2019
- Milled rumble strips
- Eastbound pavement reconstruction and bridge repairs and replacements from IL 53/US 52/Chicago Street to Rowell Road (pending land acquisition)
- US 30 interchange improvements underway
- Overhead message boards
- Patching west of the Des Plaines River